Tonight at the American Airlines Center the Dallas Stars host the Minnesota Wild. Going into tonight the Wild and Stars are seperated by one point, 59, and 58 respectively. While Dallas is tied with Anaheim for the 10th spot, Detroit and Calgary are tied for the eighth and final playoff spot with 62 points.
Dallas (24-20-11, 59 pts)
- Warren Peters was called up from the Texas Stars (AHL) as Brian Sutherby injured his shoulder in the 4-2 loss to Phoenix on Sunday night.
- The Stars activated Jere Lehtinen off the IR on Sunday. He was suppose to come off the previous game against Colorado but they had a filing issue with the league and the proper paperwork wasn't turned in before the deadline therefore leaving Lehtinen ineligible for Friday nights game. He ended Sunday playing 14:34 and registering three shots on goal.
- For the third time this season the Stars tried to win three in a row for the first time all year, and for the third time they were denied. The previous two times by Vancouver, this time by Phoenix.
- After getting outshot by Phoenix 15-5 in the first period Sunday, the Stars ramped it up and outshot the Coyotes 35-16 in the final two periods including 23-9 in the third.
- Alex Auld struggled on a couple goals in the game Sunday including a big one surrendered to Shane Doan with no traffic in front from the bluline. My guess is that soft goal will be enough for Marc Crawford to solidify Marty Turco as tonights starter between the pipes.
- With the grind of the recent schedule for the Stars over the last week or so, Marc Crawford gave the team a day off of practice yesterday. Minnesota hasn't played since Friday, but they did have a late skate yesterday afternoon.
Wild are coming off a 5-2 loss at San Jose on Saturday night. Minnesota (27-24-4, 58 pts)
- Josh Harding started in net as starter Niklas Backstrom has been bothered by a sore back. He did not dress for Saturday nights contest at HP Pavillion. Wade Dubielewicz, the former Denver Pioneer sat in as the back up.
- In the Wilds 5-2 loss they allowed a team franchise high four power play goals to San Jose.
- The Wild come into tonights game losers of seven of their last eight on the road.
- Miko Koivu has 2-2-4 in his last four games, and Eric Belanger has nine points in his last 12 games
Tonight Marty Turco will start in goal against Josh Harding.
- Wade Dubielewicz was called back up after being sent down to Houston following the San Jose game. He arrived this morning for the pregame skate.
- Brian Sutherby is ruled out for tonight and Warren Peters will take his spot in the line up.
Tonight Marty Turco will have another opportunity to step up be the go to netminder. Do I think this will happen? Not so much but tonight I think he'll be great.
The Wild are similiar to the Stars, not only in points and record but they also are very good at home and very poor on the road. Stars win 3-2.