Thursday, June 28, 2007

NBA Draft Thursday

Well boys and girls....The NBA draft is now just hours away and as a sports-nerd I have to admit that I get sucked in every year because for about 3 and a half hours we all get to be the GM's of our favorite teams and scrutinize the good or what we see as bad moves by franchises in acquiring young talent. This draft along with the NFL's is like a mini-Christmas for some. If you are like me I do hope you have a happy holiday this Thursday.


The #1 pick of Portland - Greg Oden


Many see this as a no-brainer. I am one of them, however I can't help but feel that The Blazers should be taking Kevin Durant with the you pick. I know you can build a franchise around big men, and I feel that Oden could become a great man in the middle and anchor Portland's defense for years.....but c'mon....Durant was the best player in the country last year. Period. His talent is better than anyone's in this super rich draft and he probably has the most upside to his game as well. Just imagine what Durant is going to be after a few years in the league working with an NBA strength coach. By then he might be able to bench 185lbs. - but even if he can't that has nothing to do with the game of basketball. I am just glad that I am not the Blazers GM. No matter what he does he is going to be second guessed....ah the draft....



Back to Wisconsin??


This could very well be just pre-draft buzz, but I must admit that I am a little intrigued by the idea of sending Harris back home to the Milwaukee Bucks for the 6th pick tonight....And I love me some Devin Harris, the only problem is that I love the idea of getting Ohio State PG Mike Conley instead.....However, I don't think that Milwaukee would do this, and the Mavs seem to have committed to developing Harris. Even though he is not Tony Parker yet, he is still pretty darn tough to defend and if Avery would ever put his full trust in him I think he could be one of the NBA's best....this story is just a rumor, but an interesting one nonetheless.....

Dallas armed with 3 2nd rounders can still get a quality player with their 1st pick at #34.....

And apparently that is what Donnie Nelson and company plan on doing tonight


And I really can't blame them for doing this....sure you want your team to be aggressive and be a player in any deal for the best players available in the traft or in trades (KG) but despite the 1st round fart and fall down moment this past postseason this is still a 67 win team. If the San Antonio Spurs taught us anything last season is that if you stay the course things can work out in a big way. Granted, Dirk needs someone else to engage the offense....and if he gets it he might be a 2 time MVP, but fact of the matter is that there is nothing out there so overwhelming that Dallas should blow this thing up.

Which leads me to the next subject.....



Why is Phoenix so hell bent on getting KG??

I love me some Kevin Garnett as much as anyone, but if I am the Suns I am not willing to part with Amare who is younger and every bit as athletic and younger. As the Suns, T'Wolves, and Hawks might swing a 3 team deal today

The only thing I can see if I am the Suns is that I am tired of getting bounced in the playoffs every year by more "Playoff-like" teams that can slow it down and play a half court game. Maybe Phoenix feels they can still themselves for the majority of the time, but when it comes down to cruch time lett KG take over by posting up. I seem to remember the T'Wolves snapping a long winning streak by the Suns last season with Garnett just taking over in the 4th quarter doing exactly that. This is too scary to think about as a Mavs fan....lets move on....

But before we do you should all tune into the ticket tonight for a little Norm and Skin draft coverage....the best you will get on the radio with a couple guys who know more about it than all of us.



Scary how much power this kid has.....

Last night against the Reds Ryan Howard of the Phillies clobbered a homerun that went 505 feet for #100 of his career....he is also the fastest player to century mark a cool 60 games ahead of anyone else in baseball history....

The Texas Rangers getting rained out yesterday wrap up now a 3 game series today at 12:05 with the Tigers on the road looking for the sweep.....

Both Kevin Millwood and Kenny Rogers have been pushed back to today


The Rangers looking for their 7th win in their last 8 games, but are still 13 games under .500.....This is blast to watch right now. One - because I love baseball. Two - My team is winning. And Three - they are doing it with a group of parts that fit and it is great to see....i just hope that Jon Daniels sees this and realizes that you can win without Mark Teixeria and Hank Blalock, and that down the road young guys can win, and probably have more fun doing it. Fans like youth and if the front office would commit completely to a youth movement the people that come to the Temple would accept it......Heck, 30 thousand a game are shoing up this season. The fans are there just work to get us a better product. That is all I ask for, and I don't think that is too much and neither should you.

In other baseball news....

Curt Schilling will be out for a bit


And why does Mark Buehrle want to stay put??





Not too interested in what is going on at the All England club just yet, but this is kind funny....I feel that panties are always a good opic of converstation.....

Alright that is all I have this morning. It's now time to head to the station....but before I leave you I bring you some Office humor and some more Music that I dig (Wilco). Happy Draft Day to all and to all a good night!!!



10 comments:

Uwe said...

Bassy, the best thing you posted all week: the great Wilco. Keep it up.

Fake Sturm said...

Portland will rue the day....RUE THE DAY (while shaking fist in air) they pass on the great Kevin Durant. The kid is special.

Cant see the Mavs wanting to start over with a rookie PG. This team is ready to win now, and I think Devin is finally becoming a reliable part. Too much invested to give up on him now.

Uwe said...

There have been many frustrating aspects to this Mavs off season. One is the "trade Dirk" talk. Second, is all the rumors picked up by weekend GMs who think somehow Dirk, a power forward, can co-exist with another power forward, Zach Randolph, Garnett or even Pau Gasol. All three rumors have been out there for all three guys. For one, you probably couldn't get them without giving up Dirk. But let's say you can, where would they play?

The third most obnoxious thing is everyone giving up on Devin Harris. Let's see: All he's done is hit clutch baskets in the playoffs, the only Mav not scared to go to the rim ... and people want to trade him? With Milwaukee's No. 6 pick, we could get Mike Conley Jr. -- a quick point guard who can't shoot. Sounds familiar. Morons.

Unknown said...

I would send Devin Harris and our 3 picks to Milwaukee, Wisconsininin for Conley Jr. faster than google results for Vida Guerra. You will never see a day when Conley Jr. takes a hard foul and lays on the floor while the defense goes down the floor and starts their offense, especially in the playoffs. How many more missed layups do you want to suffer through next season?
I hope Oden has a nice career and everything, I just wish they wouldn't show him so much and his Cookie Monster eyes.

Flaco said...

Blah blah UT homerism blah blah Durant Durant blah blah.

Go witih Oden if you want to win rings. Go with Durant if you want to be entertained.

Oh and the tennis picture seab-bass? 3 words for you: No fat chicks.

Giving up on Devin Harris is stupid.

Jake said...

Normally would join ya Brad on the TU homerism talk...I'd still take Durant over Oden, even though he looks kinda hunchbacked.

Devin Harris isn't the problem, it's driver's select Jason Terry that had a playoff bag. Why can't Dallas get on the Ray Allen sweepstakes?

TheDude said...

but despite the 1st round fart and fall down moment this past postseason

and

and his Cookie Monster eyes

Strong imagery there boys! I LOLed.

And as much as the "Durant is the greatest EVAR and I want to have his babiez!" talk is a beating from the Texas peoples, the Aggies would do the same thing. Just wait a couple of years when Mike Goodson gains a few years and a few pounds and starts opting out of NFL combine workouts.

SeaBass, very strong effort this week! See if Bob will let you blog on a permanent part-time basis!

Uwe said...

Actually Tony, I bet that that's exactly what Conley turns into until, like Harris, he can develop a shot. What they're saying about Conley now is what they were saying about Harris three years ago.

Fake Sturm said...

Conley will be long gone at 6 anyway, so its a stupid arguement. And the Durant praise is not really a Texas thing. There are people around the nation weighing in on who they would take and most dont have a gagree from UT. The biggest Durant backer is Simmons, and I am pretty sure he is not too fond of Texas. Its the size of Oden vs. the potential greatness of Durant. Easy answer if you ask me.

Great job this week SeaBass. Reminds me of the effort Bob used to put in in his younger years.

Unknown said...

Seattle should take Acie Law. I heard he's better than Durant and that Durant only gets pub because of all the UT homers out there... not because he is, very clearly, the 2nd best player in the draft this year.