Tuesday, April 05, 2005

One Shining Moment



We all hope that a big game includes some drama and some excitement. The key to a great game is that throughout the affair, you catch yourself drawing conclusions that turn out to be false before the next TV timeout. North Carolina’s Championship win over Illinois last night had those elements. At the half, you were tempted to turn out the lights, but in the second, the Illini fought like we knew they would, and twice came storming back to tie the game after a double-digit loss.

Meanwhile, what most struck me about Illinois was there impatience offensively in the late stages of the game. I know they love the 3, and they are very good at it, but for them to continuously settle for poor shots hurt their chances. It was like they thought they were down 18 when they were really down 2. Their impatience ended up costing them.

But make no mistake, UNC deserved the win, and despite my feelings against them, they are a fine champion. Sean May is so great player, and Illinois had no answer for him.

I have gone to great lengths to admit that I do not really follow college basketball closely, but back on March 17th I wrote a tournament preview that ended with North Carolina beating Illinois in the final game. I am not claiming I was really smart, because like I said previously, I think most people had this match up in their brackets, too. But, upon reviewing what I wrote, I feel pretty good about each team’s capsule:


UNC: I hate Carolina. Always have (except for Jordan and Mia Hamm). Anyway, they are awesome. The most talent in the country. Felton is great, McCants is a talent, and May is flat-out awesome in the paint. If I had to bet, I would say they are the team to beat in this whole tournament.

Illinois: I really like their backcourt. Head, Williams, and Brown are fine talents, although I think Dee Brown is pretty over-rated. They are a popular pick, but I just cannot get past the fact that they are so dependent on the 3-pointer and have almost no inside game. They are really good, but there will no doubt be a night when the perimeter is not hitting. Then what?


Maybe I was being vague and obvious, but I contend I nailed it. Maybe I am a college basketball expert after all.

Links:

Sean May almost when to Indiana ...

Bartolo Colon awaits the Rangers

There are big games, and then there are Quarterfinals in the Champions League …Liverpool and Juventus, ESPN 2, 1:30 pm today…

The Pope used to play soccer …I swear…

Bet on the next Pope

3rd Degree’s recap of FC Dallas’ season opening win against Chicago …There was plenty to like. Not perfect, but that is quite an attack, and a potential goal-of-the-year from Eddie Johnson already. I cannot believe how he has developed over the last few years…



Shawn Kemp drug bust …What a waste…

The Shirley Blog …Appears to be a worth-while read…

Most confusing story of the day: Kyle Turley wants to play Defensive End???

The Struggling Sportscast

The Braveheart sword leaves Scotland

Chan Ho Park’s Website

And now, email:


Subject: Mavericks Radio

I might have not heard this right but Mark Followill called Josh Howard J-Ho... This needs to stop with the Name abbreviations and the clever nicknames.. Nicknames should be natural or something your friends did to you when you were younger to be evil.

William Necessary
p1day1


Amen, William. But since I like Mark, I will let this slide.


Sturminator-

I need sports bob's help on something I've been pondering the last few days. As the NBA and NFL drafts approach, I can't help but wonder if Bogut and Smith will each go #1 overall. Has one college ever produced co-#1 picks in the same year?

P.S. The more premiership talk the better...go reds...



I am researching this for a future episode of BaD Radio, but off the top of my head, if this would happen for Utah, it would have to be the first time it has ever occurred I think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob, you have hit the nail on the head re: Shawn Kemp. This guy should have been one of the most unstoppable forces in the league. Until his fornication or drug use or mental deficiency derailed him, he was getting better every year. Histry will probably never remember this now, but he was one of the most electrifying players in the history of the NBA. Before he fell off, he was a tremendous interior presence on both ends and was cultivating a nice little perimeter game. He and Gary Payton were setting themselves up to be next coming of Stockton and Malone, only with appreciably more athletic at both positions. These guys could have been the cornerstone of a great NBA dynasty (esp. once Jordan left). Instead, Payton has turned into an aging gun for hire and Kemp was a joke even while he was still playing. Now, he's just sad.

Anonymous said...

did you like those two goals? I hope you did, I hope you did very much.