• For the first time in 37 games, the Stars have won consecutive regular season games. Thank goodness, I can finally get that stat out of my head. Let’s hope it is the first of many mini-streaks this year. Good gosh, it is December, and we are discussing the first 2 game winning streak of the year? This really has been a rough start.
• Marty, Marty, Marty. My good Turks, that is why they pay you the big bucks – because you have that club in your bag. Monster outing against the Flames, and this team doesn’t win games like that if the goalie is not the #1 star. Well played. Mas, Por favor.
• Andrew Hutchinson: I am quite sure I have never heard of the guy until Sunday morning when the Stars acquired him. I also am not willing to invest long term on one outing, but it is sure nice to get a guy like that and then find that he doesn’t seem afraid of having the puck on his stick. Heck, he almost seems to like it. Andrew, I like your composure back there, and I give you solid marks for your debut.
• The Sean Avery suspension opens all sorts of talking points. I understand the league’s stance and the Stars stance on the big picture of Avery’s full body of work. But, that? That is a suspension? And a suspension that is “indefinite”? Sorry. I am sure that being a knucklehead is not a target to shoot for, but if it is a suspend-able offense to say something vulgar about someone’s girlfriend/mom/grandmother/wife, the league office is going to be busy. After my experience at ice level a few months back, I can tell you that death threats should be on that list, too. And, I heard no fewer than 5 death threats from my vantage point. This may not be a popular stance, but I don’t get a suspension over that.
• And from a Stars standpoint, let’s simmer down on the shock and disgust. No offense, but it wasn’t a big secret that the guy had some opinions that are both abrasive and over-the-top. If you buy a pit bull, and the pit bull acts like a pit bull, is it the dog’s fault that he bites things or your fault for bringing him into your house?
• Another big night for James Neal. He is a stud. Fabian Brunnstrom scored the game winner, and we should all hope that he is a strong young man mentally. He obviously is doing everything he can to please his bosses, and he also is producing when given the chance. A weaker guy may lose confidence, but he doesn’t appear to be losing it as he tried a few high confidence maneuvers tonight.
• Razor offered the nugget that Adrian Aucoin is one of the few players left in the league that uses a wood stick. Razor, please, who else is on the list? And why do I care? I don’t know. I am sick like that. But now, I must know.
• Why am I concerned that Sergei Zubov is gone for a while again? I don’t have this on high authority, but his health doesn’t appear to be right again and I am not sure I can bear another 8-12 week rehab for the guy.
• Stars need to win more faceoffs, IMO.
• Beating Edmonton again would be so much fun. And look at the Standings.
The battle for 15th rages in Alberta Wednesday night!
Updated Target Numbers for Tony Romo thru 12 games:
And now that I am back from a small respite, here are some tv recommendations:
Whale Wars is Gold …Here are the 4 episodes that have already aired on Animal Planet:
NEEDLE IN A HAYSTACK (Episode 1 of 7)
Premiered Friday, November 7, at 9 PM e/p
NOTHING'S IDEAL (Episode 2 of 7)
Premiered Friday, November 14, at 9 PM e/p
INTERNATIONAL INCIDENTS R US (Episode 3 of 7)
World Premiere Friday, November 21, at 9 PM e/p
WE ARE HOOLIGANS (Episode 4 of 7)
World Premiere Friday, November 28, at 9 PM e/p
And here is when they will all air for you to collect on your DVR …
• We Are Hooligans
Friday 5th December 8:00pm EST
• Doors Slamming and Things Breaking
Friday 5th December 9:00pm EST
• Ladies First
Friday 12th December 9:00pm EST
• Needle in a Haystack
Sunday 14th December 3:00pm EST
• Nothing's Ideal
Sunday 14th December 4:00pm EST
• International Incidents R Us
Sunday 14th December 5:00pm EST
And two documentaries I have seen recently that I like:
Young at Heart – awesome film- you will smile the whole movie, until you cry, and then you will smile again…
The Bridge – another solid film, but surely a downer