Anyway, I cannot hardly be a good sports man if we don’t scattershoot a bit about the Cowboys pre-season victory over the Houston Texans.
- DeMarcus Ware cannot be blocked. I won’t go on and on again about the guy, but once again you saw on Saturday night that your garden-variety Left Tackle cannot deal with his speed around the corner. I am willing to put the over/under at 2 ½ for “how many QB’s does Ware knock out of games in 2005”. Bet carefully.
- Tony Romo looked fine to me. I have no problem with cutting bait with Henson sooner rather than later. Look at the Broncos. They spend a 3rd round pick on Maurice Clarett, see him for less than a month, and cut their losses by cutting him once they realize he has nothing for them. Go Vinny #2, Romo #3, and let’s get ready to rumble. Heck, go Romo #2, and Vinny #3 if you want. I am fine with that.
- Roy Williams demonstrated with several different plays why my bar is so high for him. Pound for pound, he can be as dominant as anyone on defense, and yet he showed up so seldom on huge plays last year. But, against the Texans he was disruptive and destructive. Causing an interception, and just laying the smack down. Do that more often than not in 2005, and I will stop asking you to do better, Roy. By the way, I will try to write a Roy Williams essay this week, and explain the whole debate for those who are not up to speed.
- The Defense is not too bad against the pass. Their work against the run is most disturbing, but you have to hope that Jason Ferguson (remember him?) makes the difference there. And as for the OL running the football? Let’s hope Marco Rivera makes the difference. Isn’t that something, Maybe Rick Gosselin’s premise that older players tend to get hurt appears to be already making an appearance in Dallas.
- Patrick Crayton might be the 3rd best WR on the roster. Is that good news or terrifying news?
- Kevin Burnett will be a starter by week 8.
Broncos don’t need Clarett …
Mike Shanahan surprised the league by using a third-round draft choice on the former Ohio State running back in the final selection of the round. The Broncos coach thought he had the cutback style of running that fit in one of the league's best running systems.
As it turned out, Shanahan made a mistake and didn't want to waste time admitting it. With Tuesday's deadline for cutting the roster to 65 looming, Clarett, who never made the field in three preseason games, was let go.
Chutch benched, Orton to start ….Where is Richmond Flowers to play a song and cheer Chutch up?
Scott Speizio gets tattoo, gets waived …
Official HS Football team of Bob’s Blog – Celina (why? Because they reached out to me. Lewisville HS had 5 years to reach out to me, and they had no time, therefore I signed with the fighting Bobcats) - Celina shrugs off Royse City 35-0…So much for a tough 3A road test from RC…I have tentatively scheduled my first trip to Celina for September 9th when Pilot Point comes calling.
In other news, if the season ended today, Jeff Gordon is in the top 10, and Chris Young pitched great immediately after being on our show, so there must not be a BaD Radio curse, after all...
Talk to you Tuesday. I think.