It made us all sick last night. We will continue to be sick today. And, I am not sure when that feeling of illness will pass. This sucks.
It is May 4th, and I guess it is Cowboys’ season.
• Dirk. How? How is this even possible? I have never seen such a shrink-to-the-occasion as we saw last night. To see Baron Davis dominate him for 2 straight weeks was shocking on many levels, and the final chapter surely did not improve anything as Baron played on 1 leg, Dirk played with 0 heart. Please, please, please, please don’t let him win the MVP next week. Please, please, please spare us that embarrassment!
• The worst thing about Golden State bouncing the Mavs is that I am pretty sure Golden State isn’t that good. I am reasonably sure their next opponent will make quick work of them, and who knows what they will do next year. It was just the perfect storm, I guess. It was the coach, the players, the crowd, everything. It isn’t supposed to go this way. They were playing out of their minds, and the Mavs were to weak to stop it. Consider: Baron Davis in the regular season shot 30% from 3, and Stephen Jackson shot 32%. In this series, Baron was 46% and Jackson 48%. They never missed a big shot. They went and grabbed the series by the neck. And the Mavs packed their bags.
• The only guy with the fire in his eyes when adversity hits on this team is free agent-to-be Jerry Stackhouse. What can you possibly do with this team in the summer? Everyone is tied down with a very wealthy deal. I would never say you are married to this roster because Mark Cuban has proven every contract is tradable, but do you blow up a team that went to the NBA Finals and then won 67 games? I know this morning we all want to blow it up, but let’s give it a moment to let the emotions calm tad.
• Don Nelson must be having the time of his life.
• Mark Cuban must not be having the time of his life.
• Perhaps we all knew it was a very bad sign when the Mavs were staying in the game because of the 3 point shot. Nothing concerns me more than seeing the boys hit 3’s early in the game. This goes back years. When they hit the outside shot early, it is “fool’s gold”. They then think they don’t have to pay the price to get to the rim. And, as one 3 falls after another, I fear the worst. And so it happened.
• Baron Davis might be able to get a free beverage in Oakland right now. That is the most amazing performance by one guy against the Mavs in a playoff series since...last series when D-Wade did it.
• An emailer this morning pointed out something worth considering. The late 1960’s Dallas Cowboys tried and tried year after year. They fell short every year. But, they stayed the course and eventually won the title in Super Bowl VI. Along the way, I am sure many said they would never win with these guys, but it did eventually happen. Panic is never the proper reaction to day’s like this.
• Nice deep bench, Mavs. At least Austin Croshere plays now. It looks like
he is willing to commit a hard foul. Wasn’t that Kevin Willis era wonderful?
• How are we going to roll through another regular season after that?