Dang. This is getting ridiculous now.
On Friday, we handed in our completed dossier to the US Embassy here in Tegucigalpa. Their job is to complete a full investigation into our adoption to make sure we are not engaged in any manner of child trafficking. I guess it is a big issue in this part of the world, and kiddos are bought and sold all of the time. So, the fact that the US Government wants to make sure it doesn't happen in our country is a great initiative.
The downside is that we cannot get the little guy home until it is done. The brochure indicates that a full investigation can take anywhere from 1 week to 1 month. However, it is the experience of many others that the investigation actually takes just 2 or 3 days if all of your details are in order. And we have gone to great lengths to insure that ours are in fact in great order.
So, this would be business day #2 since we turned everything in and we stare at the phone. Waiting for a ring.
Waiting. That is the real theme of the entire adoption process. I hope someone is inspired by our experience, but I also don't want to mislead anyone who might find it in their hearts to adopt. It builds character like nothing I have ever experienced. I like certainty in my life and there is nothing but uncertainty when you are adopting.
This morning I was looking through some notes and found that 216 days ago we were matched with Justin and had a meeting at Buckner in Dallas to hear all about him. 216 days ago since we knew who our son would be. And yet we still have not spent 1 day in our own house as a family. We are close, and yet we still wait.
Dan tells me all of the time that "A watched pot never boils". I know he didn't come up with it, but he says it enough that I credit him with its origin in my mind. And yet, I check my phone about 24 times an hour.
On Saturday, I have plane tickets to come home that were bought 6 weeks ago. If I have to change the tickets, it will be $250 per ticket for 5 of us (Thanks, United Airlines and Continental!). So, obviously, somewhere in my cheapskate psyche is a hope that I can save $1250, but that is 100% dependent on whether or not the phone rings either today or maybe tomorrow at the latest. If it does, we might make our flight and I could be on the air on Monday. If not, well, who knows anymore?
If you can't tell, I am hoping the phone rings from the Embassy.
And, I am learning exceptional patience.