Saturday, February 05, 2005

The Prediction

Whenever I pick a game, I always preface it by telling you that I am a lousy predictor. Of course, that was before I ran through the post-season on fire. After a poor start in the Wild Card round (Brett Favre let me down), I have picked every game perfectly since. So, if ever you were going to believe I know what I am typing, this would be the time. I am on fire, so keep feeding me the rock, and I will keep shooting until I leave the zone.

Super Bowl XXXIX – The Patriots attempt to find immortality, while the Eagles try to win the big one. All sorts of story lines that make you lean in Philadelphia’s direction under normal circumstances. Terrell Owens appears back in some capacity, Donovan McNabb has the look of a man on the brink of superstardom, and Andy Reid looks unshaken by this whole scene. However, these are not normal circumstances.

They play a juggernaut that must be treated with reverence. They play a team that has not lost a post-season game in YEARS. They play a team that could cement its spot in football lore with this game’s outcome. Seldom is a team close to immortality, so when it is there, it is generally locked in on its destiny. This is not about a game to New England, it is about being placed with Dallas, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Green Bay as the 5th dynasty of the Super Bowl era.

And for that reason, I cannot in clean conscience do anything other than believe what my eyes have been telling me since last February in Houston. If a team wins every game of consequence it plays, then regardless of “superstars” or “cool nicknames” you are a fool to not buy into its dominance. They could lose to Philadelphia, but chances are they will not.

Of course, if you read this regularly, you do not need to be told how much I despise the premise of the Eagles winning the Lombardi Trophy. But, I believe I have set that aside to analyze these playoffs, and have picked them to win comfortably versus the Vikings and Falcons. But this is not at home, and this is not against a team that went 8-8.

I take the Patriots not because the Eagles are not worthy. They are worthy, and in most scenarios, you would have to admit that they would be a fine champion. But not this season. Not against this team. I pick the Patriots because they are destined. They embody winning. They shun egos, and they play for the common cause of greatness.

Until someone beats them (and yes, it could happen Sunday) I WILL NOT pick against them.

Patriots 27, Eagles 21

Links:

Mavs drop to the Pacers

Rangers pay 800k for Astacio

Young and Marino are in for sure, Irvin and Thomas, too?

Remember the story of Kobe’s jersey dropping to #72 in sales? Well, the NBA disagrees with that . He is actually #7…

Dan Shaughnessy compares the Eagles to the Red Sox …which proves wise men sometimes write dumb things….

Players vote worst fields in the NFL St Louis and Indianapolis win


According to a survey conducted by the NFL Players Association, the playing surface in St. Louis was rated as the second-worst in the league. The RCA Dome, home of the Indianapolis Colts, was rated as the worst playing surface in the league.

More than 1,500 players participated in the survey.

Not surprisingly, the Edward Jones Dome and the RCA Dome are the only remaining AstroTurf surfaces in the NFL. The low rankings for both surfaces is an acknowledgement by players that artificial turf technology has surpassed that of AstroTurf.


With Vick and Peyton signing deals, Brady’s price is rising , and the Patriots have to decide what he is worth soon…

2 comments:

meredith said...

Did you just call Dan Shaughnessy a wise man?

Now THAT is proof that sometimes wise men write dumb things.

Observer said...

Just so it is on the record somewhere, I think this will be yet another Super Bowl blowout. I'll go 38-17 in favor of the Patriots.